Ottawa Valley SAGE

Providing a forum since 1998

Jan 19, 2016 - 2 minute read - Comments

Access control headers

I visited the site yesterday and all of the social media icons had turned into hollow squares. I thought that was a little odd, given that it had been working before that so I checked to make sure the fonts were being served. The logs showed that the requests were most assurredly being getting served, so I was left with a new mystery. I really dislike surprises when I have made no changes to something.

Jan 4, 2016 - 2 minute read - Comments

OSX and the dd command

In prepartaion for building one of those Raspberry Pi clusters for a demo, I was dumping the raspbian image to a 8GB class 10 SD card on my macbook pro. The write speed was abysmal… laptop:~ user$ sudo dd if=./2015-11-21-raspbian-jessie.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m Password: 3752+0 records in 3752+0 records out 3934257152 bytes transferred in 4278.617339 secs (919516 bytes/sec) laptop:~ user$ diskutil eject /dev/disk2 laptop:~ user$ For those who care, that is roughly 73.

Jan 1, 2016 - 1 minute read - Comments

Simple Additions

I was browsing a few pictures a few minutes ago and decided I’d add some pictures for bsdcan 2015 and lisa'15. Literally as simple as tag the photos I want to use, export them to a folder, write an article stub, and then push to production. That has to be the simplest adding of images I’ve done on one of these blog engines yet.

Jan 1, 2016 - 5 minute read - Comments

New year, new site

Well, it is 2016 and ovSAGE has been around since the LISA conference of 1998, although the initial announcement was not until December of that year. That makes this group just over 17 years old and while it has never had a lot of members, it has managed to stay alive through a lot of local churn and many meeting places. I was thinking about the various platforms that have been used to manage the group communication over the years.

Dec 29, 2015 - 2 minute read - Comments

Oddities as I do the conversion

As I work my way through the content of the site to get it ready for the January launch of the new look and feel of the site, I am oticing that the tag cloud looks a little odd. It has some of the strangest emphais on some words and not on others. A brief look through the site shows the actual reason, a lack of tags. Apparently I didn’t tag things very well - some posts have no tags as you can see below.