home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

[ovsage-regulars] September Meeting: 2026-09-17 @ 19:00 Eastern

  • Subject: [ovsage-regulars] September Meeting: 2026-09-17 @ 19:00 Eastern
  • From: ovSAGE Regulars <regulars [ at ] ovsage [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2026 22:56:23 -0400
This month we are going to look at repurposing one of those android TV boxes that you can get from lots of questionable sources.

I have one I purchased in 2019 and after having a quick test with it, I decided to not bother and it has been gathering dust ever since.

At some point, there were reports of spyware being included in some of these units. I do remember checking my unit for matching version numbers, but no clear indication of it being clean. It will not get connected to anything, but it will get examined and flashed with an ARM based distribution for the system.

Who knows? It might make for a useful little embedded system. Part of the exercise will be looking for a serial port so we can see what it is doing when booting.

The meeting link will be send on Thursday. As per usual, check the site mailing list archive if you never received the email. (Yes, I appreciate the irony of putting this in the email). One of these days, I'll find out why it is not getting to only some recipients.